Job Opportunity at Jhpiego, Senior Health Informatics Advisor.
Jhpiego is an international non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University. For 42 years now, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions to strengthen the delivery of health care services for women and their families. By putting evidence-based health innovations into everyday practice, Jhpiego works to break down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Position: Senior Health Informatics Advisor-1 position based in Dar
The Senior Health Informatics Advisor will be a senior member of the MER Department to lead development, implementation, maintenance and support of digital health systems, which Jhpiego Tanzania uses to support program implementation and monitoring.
S/he will engage with projects in planning for digital health needs and advise on options for digital health solutions to enhance evidence-based implementation, data management systems and monitoring for program success.
S/he will provide leadership and quality assurance for systems performance; s/he will be responsible for overseeing the monitoring of data management systems performance and addressing issues as they arise. S/he will be responsible for advising on options for digital health systems. S/he will manage vendor contracts, consultancies and/ or in-house development of digital health solutions. S/he will ensure detailed documentation of digital health systems. S/he will ensure capacity of staff of MER unit in use of data systems, and will provide technical oversight for staff in the health informatics sub-group. The Senior Health Informatics Advisor will work with clients, partners, program staff, the ICT4D unit, Technical Leadership Office (TLO) and Global Programs Office (GPO) to identify opportunities to improve health systems and meet other programmatic challenges through the appropriate application of ICT.
• Manage the selection and provision of the appropriate technology; collaborate in determining priorities and deliverables, monitoring service levels and evaluating against success measures, and making presentations to the management
• Collaborate closely with the Government of Tanzania, specifically the National eHealth Steering Committee (NeHSC) and the National eHealth Entity, to implement systems aligned to the national e-Health strategy
• Lead implementation of the data warehouse, keeping performance standards, business and information requirements up-to-date, and performance standards adhered to
• Assess performance of data management systems, provide routine reports on challenges, gaps, proposed solutions and lead planning and implementation of improvements
• Coach the team in the development of software applications, provide continuity in all major health informatics solutions;
• Anticipate digital health needs and work with IT unit to ensure sufficient IT infrastructure in place to support digital health systems functionality
• Provide quality assurance to ensure proper configuration of systems used for program implementation and monitoring
• Responsible for providing guidance to ensure the security and quality of data at all levels of the system
• Lead documentation of MER and digital health systems
• Ensure that systems for data collection, management, outputs and visualization align with MER plans and business requirements for managing Jhpiego programs
• Ensure oversight and management vendors, consultants and/ or interns to ensure deliverables are on-time and at expected quality
• Supervise health informatics officers to ensure high quality data inputs and outputs into the systems and from the systems
• Advice on the efficient and cost effective and sustainable solutions for data management system and learning and planning systems.
• Lead Jhpiego Tanzania in data visualization development in-house and/ or contracting
• Build capacity of the central staff in use of data systems.
• Liaise with Senior M&E Officers to coordinate and streamline health information with M&E and Research activities of the Unit
• Provide input to annual work planning to ensure overall functioning of digital health systems
• Master’s degree in an ICT4D or health informatics
• At least 4 years of management experience
• At least 8 years work experience working with Health Programs including HMIS
• At least 4 years of experience with DHIS2
• A broad and extensive knowledge of IT principles, methods and techniques; analytical skills and superior knowledge of project management principles to manage projects and work with multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience working with and analyzing complex data systems and providing innovative solutions
• Understanding of the national e-Health strategy and other related national policies
• Experience in national level work on health informatics (work with the MOHCDGEC)
• Experience with Commcare, Open Data Kit, GIS tools
• Direct experience leading technical teams is highly desired
• Knowledge of different database software
• Excellent time management, people and partnership skills
• Excellent written and verbal skills in English and Kiswahili are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise as referenced above
• Availability and willingness to travel up to 30% time
Jhpiego offers a competitive package selected candidates in line with salary history, academic qualifications and relevant experience.
To apply please indicate the position title on the envelope or subject line of your e-mail. Applications should also include an up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter and your salary history. Applications which do NOT include ALL of these elements will NOT be considered.
The application should be addressed to:
Director of Human Resource
Plot 72, Block 45B, New Bagamoyo Road – Victoria
PO Box 9170 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
OR send the application through email at: HRTZ@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for applications is two weeks from the first publication of this advert
Caution to the applicants:
There have been some bogus adverts online that require candidates to apply through some email addresses of public domains e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. Kindly note: HRTZ@jhpiego.org is the ONLY address to use when you send your application for the above positions. Please ignore any of those adverts. We also do not charge any application fee nor entertain any meetings or telephone calls. If shortlisted, you will get an official call from our office and receive required steps. If you suspect any wrong – doing kindly write to the Director of Human Resourcethrough email@example.com